Thursday, October 29, 2009

Thattai

I've never made any Murukku or Thattai in my life so far.This is the very first time, I made thattai!!! My friend sent me the pictures of sweets and snacks that she made for Diwali. I got motivated by her pictures and very badly wanted to try some murukku. But, I dont have murukku achu(murukku maker) with me. So, I thought I could make atleast(!!!) "Kai Murukku". Quickly searched the net for Kai murukku recipe. I prepared the dough and everything was alright till this step. I took little quantity of dough and rolled it in to string like structure and tried to make spiral strand.. I kept trying for more than 30 minutes..Oops! I was tired but didn't succeed in making a single spiral strand..it kept breaking if I try to make a spiral like...I was running out of energy and lost my patience too...I remembered, my mom's words "Kai murukku is an art, no one can make it so perfect without practice or patience".

I really didnt know what to do with that large quantity of dough. All of a sudden, an idea flashed. I added chilli powder, curry leaf, grated coconut and fried gram to the dough. Rolled it in to small discs and made thattai. Really, it came out well...Do you have guts to try out this recipe??



Ingredients :

1.Rice Flour - 3 Cups
2.Urid Dhal Flour - 1/4 Cup
3.Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp
4.Fried gram - 1 tsp
5.Chilli powder - 1 tsp
6.Asafoetida - 1/2 tsp
7.Grated coconut - 1 tsp
8.Curry leaf - Small qty
9.Salt - Needed qty
10.Butter - 1/4 Cup
11.Heated gingelly oil - 1 tbs
12.Water - Needed qty
13.Vegetable Oil(to fry thattai) or any cooking oil- Needed qty

Procedure :

1. Mix all the above ingredients in a bowl and make it to a soft dough(as we make for chappathi).

2. Now, grease a plastic sheet with little oil.

3. Take small quantity of dough and make it to a ball.

4. Keep it on the greased sheet and pat it with your fingers in circular motion so that the dough forms a round disc with equal thickness.

5. Meanwhile, heat oil in a pan.

6. Now,carefully take out the flattened dough from the plastic sheet and gently drop in the heated oil.

7. Fry well and finally take out and drain excess oil by placing it in paper towel for sometime.


1 comment:

gtyuk said...

hahahha, nice adventure making the kai murukkus!! I love kai murukkus too! atleast you've tried but I haven't even dared to try twisting them :)

great idea and patience (after half an hour of practicing kai murukku) to make thattais!! they've come out crispy and nice!!!