Thursday, February 4, 2010

Beetroot Kheer for Repost Event


I'm happy that I could send this entry to Jaya atleast today before the end of the event date. I felt happy when I saw Jaya's event announcement because I got so many posts without any single comment. I selected this post for REPOST EVENT, because I love anything made out of Beetroot. Although, this kheer participated in RV's "DDPI" event, I didn't receive comments at all. Actually, when my friend called me and asked for some Kheer recipe, I gave her the usual Carrot Kheer recipe. Later, she said that her whole family and friends liked it. Also, she asked for other kheer recipes. That day, I bought home these beets for making halwa. On hearing my friend's request, I just dropped that idea and ventured in to making kheer with it. When I started to make it, I was not sure about the outcome. To my surprise, it came out well and my friend too liked the taste and nowadays, she is often preparing it for any party at her place. What I have given below is the another version of the kheer. My original post and the recipe goes here.




Ingredients:

1. Beet root - 2 ( Medium sized)
2. Milk - 5 Cups
3. Sugar - 1 Cup (More or less according to your taste)
4. Cashew - 1/2 Cup
5. Saffron - Small qty (Optional)

Procedure:

1. Wash, peel and cut beetroot.
2. Soak cashew for about 30 minutes.
3. Take a vessel, add cut beet roots and cashew.
4. Now, add little quantity of milk (just enough to cover beets & cashews) and keep it inside pressure cooker.
5. Pressure cook it for atleast 15 minutes.
6. Now, boil the remaining milk with sugar and allow it to cool.
7. Grind the cooked beetroot and cashew.
8. Mix the contents to the cooled milk.
9. Garnish with saffron strands.
10.Serve chilled.

This goes to Jaya's Repost Event.



26 comments:

Vrinda said...

WOW...very innovative recipe,never ever thought of making beets kheer,looks delish...

kitchen queen said...

the beetroot kheer looks very refreshing and appetising.

Hayley said...

Hey

looks very colourful and cool beet kheer...i can imagine how tasty it must be after looking at the pics..

cheers

Priya Suresh said...

Beautiful and eyecatching beets kheer..

SE said...

coclorful kheer with beets !!

Siddhi Shirsat said...

wow nice colourful kheer, luks yummm

Neetz said...

hey Nithu..now that looks delicious :)
Neethu

Vikis Kitchen said...

Wow..lovely kheer!

Sowmya said...

innovative...kids will love this ...so colourful n healthy kheer..

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

Heavenly color and a perfect healthy kheer!!!

Rekha shoban said...

never tried and had dis kheer...very new and interesting one.

Renuka Bedre - Rao said...

this is so innovative idea!! very colorful..delicious!
Renuka
http://cookingyummy.blogspot.com/

Gita Jaishankar said...

Beetroot kheer looks so delicious dear..very innovative and healthy :)

Nivedita Thadani said...

Hi,
I must try this one, as my daughter loves beetroot!

PJ said...

beetroot kheer looks so delicious and yummy! very creative use of beetroots.

priya said...

healthy n yummy kheer, dear...looks so tempting!

Vineetha Sush said...

gorgeous kheer in pink colourrrr

Valarmathi Sanjeev said...

Nice color, looks yummy.

Hamaree Rasoi said...

Wow so innovative and colorful kheer.

shahana said...

Beetroot kheer is really innovative!

Perspectivemedley said...

heey Nithu.. totally innovative!!:).. kheer with beetroot.. wow!.. looks so goood!!.. nice post!!

Yasmeen said...

Kheer with beets sounds delish :D

Aparna said...

lovely kheer!!!!thankyu s much for sharing award with me..:)

ARUNA said...

That's a great healthy recipe!

Nithu Bala said...

Thank you Dears for the wonderful comments :-)

Oraphan said...

This looks and sounds healthy and delicious! I've never tried beetroot before, I will add this recipe to my 'to try list', thanks:)