Thursday, February 4, 2010

Milagu Kuzhambu for Repost Event


I selected this post for the REPOST EVENT because I feel this is very apt for this winter. This is my dad's favourite and he had even named it as "Marunthu(medicine) Kuzhambu" as pepper got medicinal property for curing cold. When I was young, I never liked it but later when I learnt it's medicinal value, I started to like and nowadays, at least once in a week I'm preparing this kuzhambu.

In addition to the below ingredients, you can also add sukku powder(Dried ginger powder). Sukku helps in getting rid of body pain associated with cold or fever.




Ingredients:

1. Pepper - 11/2 tsp
2. Dhaniya - 1 tsp
3. Thoor Dhal - 1 tsp
4. Urid Dhal - 1 tsp
5. Red Chillies - 2
6. Tamarind Juice - 1/2 Cup
7. Salt - Needed qty
8. Gingelly Oil - 2 tbs
9. Onion - 1 (Finely Chopped)
10. Garlic - 10-12 Cloves ( Chopped)
11. Curry leaf - small qty
12. Mustard - 1 tsp
13. Jaggery - 1 inch piece
14. Brinjal - 3(Optional)
15. Seasoning Vadam - small qty(optional)

Procedure:

1.To prepare masala powder, dry roast pepper, dhaniya, urid dhal, thoor dhal and red chillies and powder it in a mixie.
2.In a pan, add oil and mustard. Now, add chopped onion and garlic. Fry them till both turns golden brown.
3.If you have veggies like Brinjal or Drumstick, cut them and add to the fried onion and garlic.
4. Add tamarind extract, 1 cup water, masala powder, jaggery and the salt. Mix well.
5. Allow the contents to boil well. When the contents get thickened, take off from the stove and garnish with curry leaf.
6.If you have seasoning vadam / vengaya vadagam, fry and add to kuzhambu.
7. Serve hot with rice.

Also, please go through my actual post here.

I'm sending this to Jaya's Repost Event.



22 comments:

Swathi said...

Nithu,
Milagu kuzhambu looks really good. healthy too

Gita Jaishankar said...

Nice presentation dear...I too love this kuzumbu..looks so good :)

Vrinda said...

Never tasted this curry,look spicy and yummm,must try...

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

Ofcourse it should be called marunthu Kulambhu... Lovely dish for the winter and perfect repost!!!

Perspectivemedley said...

Hey Nithu... such a tempting Kuzhambu:).. I love this spicy Kuzhambu!!.. thank you for the helpful information!!

PJ said...

very nice presentation! the kuzumbu looks delicious!

Valarmathi Sanjeev said...

Never tried this.... looks spicy and delicious.

Renuka Bedre - Rao said...

this looks so tasty full of flavors!
Renuka
http://cookingyummy.blogspot.com/

Sowmya said...

i love marunthu kuzhambu..tastes yummy with sesame oil...your version is too good buddy

Rekha shoban said...

curry looks spicy and perfect...my motherinlaw used to do this recipe...

Menaga Sathia said...

ஜலதோஷத்துக்கேத்த அருமையான குழம்பு....

Parita said...

Love the color of the gravy, looks very spicy and yummy

kitchen queen said...

lovely milagu kuzhambu my favourite which I make often.

Siddhi Shirsat said...

wow vrinda very nice curry...new 2 me...good 2 knw curry with medicinal values...thnx for sharing

Aparna said...

healthy one dear..

Anjum said...

mouth watering!! Very good.Do drop by at http://anjuskitchentreasures.blogspot.com/

Anjum said...

mouth watering!! Very good.Do drop by at http://anjuskitchentreasures.blogspot.com/

Preeti Kashyap said...

Lovely recipe! I must try it as my hubby has a running nose!

Pari Vasisht said...

Nice healthy preparation good that u reposted it, we are benefitted.

Nithu Bala said...

I'm happy that you all loved this kuzhambu..thank you Dears :-)

Myvegfare said...

I love milagu kozhmbu, I too make it at least once in 15 days, but make seeraga-milagu rasam definitely once a week, till now I have never added onion or garlic to it, must try once and see how it is, well I do not have vengaya vadagam!!, so I really cannot try that!!

Oraphan said...

Wow, this looks and sounds so amazing! I need to bring the list of some ingredients that I don't know to the Indian Market so I can give it a try. Thanks for sharing your dad's favorite:)